It is safe to say with the demand of the modern world it is easy to struggle with mental stability, we have high pressured jobs, we have bills to pay, a social life to keep up with, all whilst trying to make something of ourselves and feel we are living “our best life”. With 30% of the population struggling with mental health issues it is more important now than ever for it to be not only spoken about but for us to work together and to support one another.
In the last few years companies around the UK have started implementing a “Wellness at Work” plan, various studies have proven that using a programme to promote healthy living such as eating well and physical exercise has reduced stress at work and sick days taken by employees.
Here at KMG, we have various benefits in place to help our colleagues along their wellness journey, we have a weekly fruit basket delivered, a number of exercise classes offered for the team and we have introduced a new “Hydrate to Elevate” scheme.
Here are some facts about each section of our programme:
Benefits of Physical Exercise
- Helps reduce depression and anxiety – exercise releases endorphins, the “feel good” hormone, increasing your overall mood. There is a huge mental benefit to keeping active, even moderate exercises like a daily walk have shown that it will decrease depression and anxiety.
- Increased Self Esteem and Self Confidence – prioritizing your physical and mental health is a key factor in self-care, this will build your self-esteem and confidence. Providing you with a better feeling about yourself. It is also an act of self-progression, something that our brains and bodies respond well to.
- Decrease Stress – Exercising helps your body’s ability to use oxygen and improves your blood flow. It also makes your mind focus on your body and the movements of the exercise rather than any stresses or worries you might have.
- Better Sleep – Studies have shown that people who exercise regularly fall asleep quicker and have deeper waves of sleep. Although there are some debates as to whether you should work out in the evening or morning for sleep benefits but realistically everyone is different and you should do what works best for you.
- Brain Boost – Another great reason to keep active – sharper memory and thinking! The same endorphins that give you that feel good factor also help you concentrate and feel more mentally switched on for the tasks at hand.
Benefits of Healthy Eating
- Increases overall brain function – eating healthy means you are getting all the nutrients and minerals your body needs to perform at its prime. This means the brain is also functioning at its best, it helps improve concentration and attention span
- Boosts your mood – A healthy, well-balanced diet can help us think clearly and feel more alert. To the opposite of this, a diet that is high in fat/calories and carbs can lead to fatigue, impaired decision-making and can slow down reaction time.
Why keep hydrated at Work
- You should be drinking around 8 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated. Being 3-4% dehydrated can lower your work performance by approximately 25-50%.
- Dehydration at work is not only a problem for manual work (although very important, especially in hot weather!). It is just as vital for office workers to keep hydrated to keep themselves at maximum function, physically and mentally.
- When you are dehydrated, it is known that your body can have an increase in heart rate and body temperature. This causes effects on the brain which makes it harder to work at a consistent level.
Here at KMG, we understand that these are steps in the right direction steps, not a solution to mental health issues. They are there to help colleagues feel better about themselves, to feel less stressed and more cared for. The new year is approaching, why not use this time to look into a wellness programme of your own and see what you can do to promote wellbeing within your organisation.